When most of us think about the holiday season, we can’t help but focus on spending time with family and friends, opening presents by the fireplace and eating a delicious homemade meal at the family table. However, the reality is that millions of families face an ongoing struggle just to pay their regular monthly bills let alone provide these holiday amenities to their family. Cetrom is a firm believer in giving back to the community all year round but especially now during the holiday season.
We encourage anyone reading this blog to consider donating during the holidays to brighten this special time of year for our less fortunate neighbors and friends. The possibilities are endless, but here are a few charities in need of your benevolence:
- Action Against Hunger: Saves lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations of conflict, war and natural disaster.
- American Humane: Ensures the safety, welfare and well-being of animals and serves to promote and nurture the bonds between animals and humans.
- American Red Cross: Prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
- Goodwill Industries International: Enhances the dignity and quality of life of individuals, families, and communities by eliminating barriers to opportunity and helping people in need reach their fullest potential through the power of work.
- Habitat for Humanity International: Brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
- Marine Toys for Tots Foundation: Collects new, unwrapped toys during the holiday season and distributes those toys as gifts to needy children in the community. In so doing, provides them with hope and the motivation to grow into responsible, productive, patriotic citizens and community leaders.
- Meals on Wheels America: Empowers local community programs to improve the health and quality of life of the seniors they serve so that no one is left hungry or isolated.
- National Alliance to End Homelessness: Works to prevent and end homelessness in the United States.
- Ronald McDonald House Charities: Creates, finds and supports programs that directly improve the health and well-being of children and their families.
- The YMCA: Serves as the national resource office for the nation’s Ys, which strengthen the community by nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living for all and fostering social responsibility.
Donations to these charities and others like them can take many forms, such as money; products like food, clothing, toiletries, furniture or building materials; time as a volunteer; and professional skills in the medical, dental, counseling, finance, technology or administrative fields, among others. If you wish to learn more about these charities or others of this kind, please visit, https://www.charitywatch.org/home.
Still not sure what is the best charity for you? There’s even an online quiz that can help you identify your charity soul mate here in the DC area.
On behalf of everyone at Cetrom, happy holidays to you and yours! May the new year hold great things for us all!